Monday, September 29, 2008

Inspiration

Two weeks ago, on Sunday September 14th or week 2 of the 08 NFL Season, winds from Hurricane Ike came into Louisville. The storm caused major damage and left over 200,000 people and businesses without power.

I didn't even realize that there was a storm because I slept through the worst part of it. I woke up about 15 minutes before the 1:00 o'clock games and about 5 minutes before my power went out.

I was FUCKING PISSED and frantically searched for one of the radios that you can put big fat double D batteries in the back of because I DON'T miss Football games during the season for ANY FUCKING REASON AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Natural Disasters don't concern me, Admiral.

My wife, who I believe prioritises better than me, went to the front door to take a look outside. Two houses down from us a tree had fallen on both of our neighbor's cars and part of their roof.

A minute later our power came back on and stayed on. Later in the day there was some storm issues with the CBS feed and channel 5 was out for about 20 minutes. AGAIN I WAS REALLY FUCKING PISSED because it was interfering with my ability to watch football.

As bad as my day was going I think my neighbor was having a worse day...


It took over a week to restore power to everything and we even took in two refuges from the storm for over a week. Two nice girls named Angie and Erika.

Erika wound up cooking dinner and washed the dishes almost every night of the week that they were with us and by the end of the week I asked her if we could rent her indefinitely. I even thought about setting fire to her house while she was at work so she would have to move in.


Work was a FUCKING NIGHTMARE that week.

A week after that I read something about our country being in the worst economical shape it's been in since the depression. For the first time in along time my faith was shaken...

All seemed lost and I was starting to think that maybe all that make believe I've ever heard about the Apocalypse wasn't really make believe at all, but then I discovered that NKOTB are back in the game and once more I am full of hope and inspiration. Things are going to be ok folks.

So whenever you feel that there's no hope and things are at their worst just remember that Step by Step anything is possible.

Step 1: We can have lots of fun.
Step 2: There's so much we can do.
Step 3: It's just you and me.
Step 4: I can give you more.
Step 5: Don't you know the time has arrived.






18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I hear I look like Donnie....

captain corky said...

Yeah, I've heard that too.

eric1313 said...

I'm proud to say I'm uglier than any of those punks!

But one run in with me and they'll wish they stayed on their old block!

How's it going Corky? Back from exile in the boondocks of Michigan. Glad to see you still trekking on through the galaxy.

Live long, drink lots and prosper (after the hangover, of course)

Dana said...

Why do I have the sudden urge to break out singing, "The sun will come out, tomorrow ...."

furiousBall said...

"I woke up about 15 minutes before the 1:00 o'clock games"

i haven't been able to sleep that late since joining the working world unless i drank myself unconscious the night before or as i like to call it "taking a sleeping pill"

Terri said...

'bout time you rejoined the bridge Captain!

Gina said...

Good lord, all those losers are pretty fucking ugly, but they have "good hair."

There must be a connection between good hair and success in the entertainment world. Don't you think?

Pink said...

more than good hair...i think its BIG HEAD...actually...look at Vanna White...she was nothing if not a big head on legs.

good to see you again, Corks.
xx
pinks

Jay said...

Thank you for this very inspiring post.

Now, if Jeff Reed will just kick 3 more field goals of 40-49 yards or one regular field goal and two of 50+ yards or in some other way get 11 more points I'll have a really great night.

Princess Pointful said...

Step 2 is my favourite. There is so much left to interpretation!

dilling said...

i kind of think of them as a sign the Apocalypse has arrived.....
silly me

Burfica said...

wow the hair on NKOTB is enough to scare me into hiding. hehehehe

just a girl... said...

if i hear about the NKOTB one more time I will pull out my hair. but I do get the whole tv interuption thing. I feel the same way when we get those stupid special reports about nothing special

Jodi said...

You lost power for a matter of minutes and you're complaining?!!! I had 3 children living with me with no electronic entertainment for 4 days!!!! I also had, however, a week off without pay. So I guess it all balanced out.

"NKOTB" worry me. More than Sarah Palin.

J.

Lola Starr said...

Ah, I love your philosophy..... :)

Anonymous said...

well, i'm glad that our apt was not ablaze when we got home :)
it was tons of fun though staying with you guys!
hope nj is treating you well.

MomThatsNuts said...

LMAO...

I was in my 20's I had 12 and 14 year old sisters. My dad BEGGED me to take them to the NKOTB concert. I did. My sister touched someones hand and didnt wash it for a month. They put on a nice show, well what you could hear over the screaming teenage girls...

but you know I was just hanging tough~~~

Mom

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

hahaha. I saw the first show of their reunion tour in September and I must say they are the best I have EVER seen. I even bought a shirt.