Sunday, July 02, 2006

Dream Girl


Here's a picture of our favorite Captain holding LT. Uhura right before TV's legendary first interracial kiss on the Star Trek episode, Plato's Stepchildren.


Before I proceed with this character profile I must apologize to all the women who read this blog. I'm sorry ladies, I'm taken. Sadly there is only one of me to go around. Well, I'm sure your happy with what's his name anyway.

As if you didn't know, I'm very fond of talking about all the great times we had as kids. My wife is so familiar with my big fish stories that she could probably tell most of them. I don't know as much about my wife's childhood. I know some of her friends, and that she danced for many years and spent a lot of time in Texas, where her dad is from. However, my wife did not grow up in the utopia, that's about to shut down in a couple of days, like I did. There were drive by shootings in the neighborhood where she lived when she was a little girl. So playing outside for endless hours probably wouldn't have been such a good idea for her. So, sometimes I feel a little guilty talking about my childhood with her. Everytime I tell her that she laughs at me and says, "No you don't".

Eventually Allyson moved out of that neighborhood and grew up. She went to about 10 different colleges until she settled down at the University of Louisville. That's where she met her best friend Erica who is also an English major/nerd. The both of them are also super scary liberal communists as well, but that too is a post for another day. To save money she moved in with this girl we affectionately call the beast. The beast is one scary chick. I'll tell you more about the beast next time but lets just say the beast is one scary chick. During that same time period she worked at the beloved company that I work for. That's where we met. I think I was one of the first people that trained her. I always got her and her friend Mary confused. So every time I talked to one of them I would say, "Hello Mary" and she would say, "No I'm Allyson with a Y" and I would say, "that's funny my sister Cindie spells her name with an ie instead of a Y." Not really but I probably thought it.

Anyway a couple of months went by at work and finally I started supervising Allyson. She was a great worker, but she called out, way to much. You would too if you were working two jobs and going to school. So finally one day I went up to her and said, "Allyson could you please stop calling out?" and she did. Here is where it all began.

One time Allyson got pasted with about 700 of those things we service at the place where I work. One of the few times I didn't react with good sense, I told her she could handle it. Her work area got destroyed and she was almost buried alive. She did not speak to me the next day. I really didn't think much of it. Three weeks went by and she was still not speaking to me. That's when I asked her if she was ever going to speak to me again. She did not answer me. As I walked away from her this thought entered my mind, "This bitch is pulling the bicycle bit on me!" That when I went up to her and apologized, almost on my hands and knees. From that moment on I took a proactive stance to any concerns that she had at work.

As time went by we started spending time together after work, eating breakfast and talking and laughing. This was right about the time I was ending a relationship with that other girl. You know I love everything about Christmas, but that year was a rough one. Luckily I spent that Christmas eve with Allyson and she bought me presents and everything. I think I made her watch Its a wonderful life, and now its one of her favorite movies too.

We spent the next year getting to know each other but first we felt it best to move in together. I'm not going to lie to you and tell you it was always blissful, but when it came down to it, and it did, we really loved each other. I think the most important thing I ever said to Allyson, more than every time I ever told her I loved her is that she is my best friend. We have learned so much from each other. I have learned an appreciation for writing and even reading at times. Allyson now blurts out Idioms that make no sense to anyone but me and you, such is love. I think we have a very healthy marriage and we communicate very well, too bad she doesn't cook and clean(kidding baby). I also think the both of us might be border line agoraphobics, but who wants to leave the house anyway.

In August, "next month Allyson", she starts teaching English 101 at U of L. You can see the difference in the way I write from my first post to now, and she has only helped me a couple of times. Really I have more than I ever expected for myself(outside of flying and being able to bench press a mountain that is). But I'm very lucky to have a woman care about me and love me the way that Allyson does.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teary eyed...
I like Allyson better than 'the other girl' too. You should keep her.
Ok let's be honest, you're lucky if she keeps you.

willSIX said...

Again, I must second the Birdman!

RAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!