Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Running for Fun in the Hot Hot Sun



Sorry Ben and Max, but Dad does not like to run for fun in the hot hot sun!

But after the sun started to go down I raced Max to the bait house. Damn he's fast and damn I'm slow.

Last Saturday I got a chance to watch my sons sit down in front of the lake and eat together. It only lasted for a couple of minutes, but the image and emotions will stay with me for the rest of my life.

To watch them turn into brothers right before my very eyes is one of the greatest gifts I will ever receive in life.

Nothing beats watching them play, eat, fight, cry, scream, scheme, laugh, plot, talk, or read together. Nothing. Not even Star Trek, football, and fishing combined.

There was a time in my life when I thought that maybe being a father wasn't in the cards for Captain Corky, but I was blessed with two boys and was given an opportunity to raise my children the right way (for me) and by right way (for me) I mean alcohol and drug free.

Today my job is simple: don't drink or drug, listen, contribute to life, do the next right thing, and help others. By attempting to do that stuff on a daily basis I've been able to be a better father, get A's in college, and improve personal relationships with people in my life such as: my wife, sister, parents, and friends.

I guess its also easier to look into a mirror and see that the beauty inside is starting to match the beauty on the outside. ;)

Next month I'm meeting my birth sister, Wendi and her family. Once upon a time I thought the best had come and gone... but now I'm starting to truley believe the best is yet to come.

4 comments:

Annette said...

Keith, you actually sound like a grown up! I need to take lessons from you.

captain corky said...

It only took me 41 years. lol!

Molly said...

Your sons are beautiful. What a wonderful attitude that you have about parenthood. I certainly was not that wise in my 20's.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater said...

Fantastic to hear, buddy! It's like things are so much clearer when you can focus (stay off "the sauce").

I'm glad things are going in a good direction the Captain. : )