Monday, January 22, 2007

AFC TITLE GAME






Last night at approximately 8:00 pm eastern standard time Allyson, and I were all packed up and ready to sneak out of town (in Baltimore Colt like fashion). It wasn't because we were evicted or any kind of rubbish like that. I was fed up with routing for losers. The Colts were down 21-6 at halftime, and I had this nagging feeling that I was going to hear nothing but I told you so from everybody I know, and their brother. My plan was that before I took my first phone call or looked at my first e-mail I would be living on a beech in Cape Cod, and looking for work on a fishing boat.

I would have been on the road by halftime if it weren't for my cat. The fat but beautiful bastard (Fonzie) snuck into the crawl space, and I couldn't get him out. Looking back on the incident I now realize that It was divine intervention! By the time I managed to get Fonzie out, the Colts were only down by 8. So I sat back down on the couch to continue watching the game that was no longer out of reach for the greatest quarterback who ever lived, Peyton Manning.

After the Colts had tied the game up at 21 all, I looked over at my wife, and said, "I think the Patsies might have blown their load in the first half". The third and fourth quarter of the AFC championship was amazing, and I only remember watching two other football games that were ever as exciting. 1. When the Bills, who were down to the Oilers 35 to 3 at halftime, came back to win 41 to 38. The second game was when John Elway, and the Broncos ended the NFC's 13 year Superbowl winning run by beating Holmgren and Favre..

Watching Belichick and Brady lose last night was just about the best thing I've seen all year. I do realize that it's not over yet (football season not the year). There's still one more game to play. Peyton Manning, and the Colts still have to go up against Rex Manning, and the Bears in the Super Bowl. If this game were being played in the snow in Chicago I might be worrying about it, but it's not. It's going to be played in Sunny Florida. I like the Colt's chances, a lot!

It sucks that I had to leave my pregnant wife at home to unpack the moving van, and move all of our furniture back into the apartment by herself but I was already 15 minutes behind schedule and needed to be at work.

25 comments:

Knitty Yas said...

oh my god corky were you were going to live on a BEECH? I've always wanted to live in a tree house ala George of the Jungle!! That's so cool. lol

I am convinced that i can no longer watch the first half of any game. i curse the team if i do.

So when you having peyton over for a bbq? i always did wanna meet the boy. ;D

Knitty Yas said...

wow that line is probably the worst grammar i have ever seen. haha!

captain corky said...

He still has to win the Super Bowl before I have him over. I still don't trust him 100 percent, but if he wins I'll probably let him have a Bud with me. A great honor to be sure!

Anonymous said...

oh rexy, you're so sexy.

Metal Mark said...

I think it's going to be a tight game because it's still been a while since the Colts have put together solid performances in two consecutive games. Empire Records sure was better than Grease 2.

Dan said...

What is this strange thing they call football? Is it that strange game where grown men dress in all sorts of protective padding and helmets and then run into each other?

The wussies! They should take all that crap off.

Lady K said...

Hmmmmmmmm.......Was NOT happy about that game. Not at all.

The Lone Beader® said...

I'll admit, I wasn't happy about the game either. But, my dad lives in Indiana, so, whatever....

Sunshine said...

Rex Manning
*snort*
Thank God I wasn't drinking my coffee when I scrolled down and saw that picture, or it would have come out of my nose!
Too. Damn. Funny.

I heart Maxwell Caulfield. Grease 2 is his best work. :)

Justin's Mom said...

Yeah, there weren't many smiles and cheers in my house last night once the second half started. There was definitely some yelling and hat throwing though.

Lola Starr said...

Yay for an Empire Records reference! And the cat is cute. :)

Jay said...

I'm pretty happy that the Colts won too. But, maybe you should rent another U-Haul for the Super Bowl and load it up again. Just in case that's the good luck charm Peyton needs.

It'll only be two more weeks into her pregnancy, so I'm sure your wife can handle unloading it a second time.

MrRyanO said...

I'll be rooting for the Super Bowl Commercials in two weeks! They won't dissapoint!

Alicia said...

GREAT GAME last night!!!! I was screaming at the TV when Brady's pass got intercepted with 19 seconds to go, and the COLT who intercepted it started running.. I was like, "FUCKING KNEEL DOWN!!!!!"
And then he did, and all was well with the world.
Sigh.
Now, I believe that Peyton Manning will have a rough time against the Bears' Defense, but I think that Grossman is going to crack under pressure, and the COLTS will win easily. My guess, 34-14.

Big Pissy said...

Football, huh?

Did I tell you I'm now a Battlestar Galateca (sp?) fan?

Lou said...

Allow me to stop that little thought that has been growing in the back of Corky's head all season.

NO, YOU CANNOT NAME YOUR KID PEYTON.

Heidi on Vashon said...

I think I'm in love with the Fonzie--yours...aw!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Uh.. I know nothing about football, so this whole thing has been right over my head.

Heather and Ian said...

KJR--only if he want's me to refer to his first born as Gayton for all eternity.

Pixie said...

Football...I know nothing.
;)

Anonymous said...

Say no more, mon amour

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud at referring to the quarterback of the Bears as Rex Manning AND at the thought of you being such a neandrothal that you would leave Allyson to unload the truck in her current state.

Jodi said...

Yeah, Go Colts!

I wasn't worried about the last part about Allyson. She's WAY too smart to put up with that sh--.
J.

Ms. Tuesday said...

lmao Corky. Funny post!

Heather and Ian said...

for a moment, i asked myself why i never made the connection that the bears qb shared a name with empire records character. somehow, your post genuinely think grossman was named manning. guess it was some kind of dissociative thing between gayton/eli and rex.

anyway, gayton still needs one more win before i believe in him. as for the Bears D, i do beleive in them. causing fumbles is skill and technique, not luck. the Bears have this technique. also, urlacher, lance briggs, etc. will be able to cover dallas clark unlike the pats old LB's.

just remember you heard it here first: 33-21 Bears.