Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Social Dragonfly

For the first time in many years I remember why people like Summer. I've avoided the sticky months like the plague for the past 15 years or so. This year's different though. I have the most remarkable tan on my face and arms from spending so much time outside. I look amazing. Do I have a couple bug bites? Yes. Is it the end of the world? No.

I've spent countless hours fishing with my older son this year, and we've met a lot of really nice people. One older guy at the lake likes to give me shit because my tackle box is slightly messy. Instead of saying fuck you to him, I try to clean it and then Max dumps it out 5 minutes after we get to the lake.

Max is a real character at this one lake that we fish at. It seems that everyone knows him by name. They just call me Max's Dad. The kid is a real social dragonfly. He likes to rummage through OPT (other people's tackle boxes). Usually the good people of the lake are pretty understanding and amused by him. He's even used other people's poles before and sometimes there are kids his age that he winds up playing with. It's really cool. 

I'm sure glad that not everyone at the park is there to snatch Max. I'm still careful, but it seems like a lot more people go to the park to fish or walk their dogs rather than to open up their raincoats, if you know what I mean.

I'm not real crazy about the heat or the bugs, but Captain Corky's back, Summer!

No comments: